Frequently Asked Questions

How do I access the client portal?

Current clients may make appointments, send messages, view invoices, make payments, and update information through the Sweetwater Counseling Simple Practice client portal at

New clients should call the office at 256-272-1065 or email to schedule an appointment.

What ages of clients do you see?
Sweetwater Counseling and Consulting is a private counseling practice that focuses on the mental health needs of children and adolescents between the ages of 3-18.

What is Play Therapy according to the Association for Play Therapy (APT)?

“Play Therapy is defined by APT as “the systematic use of a theoretical model to establish an interpersonal process wherein trained Play Therapists use the therapeutic powers of play to help clients prevent or resolve psychosocial difficulties and achieve optimal growth and development.”

Play Therapy should only be provided by graduate-level mental health professionals who have met the required education, clinical licensure, and additional specialized training and supervision specific to Play Therapy.”     Learn more at


What is the reason for using Play Therapy with children and adolescents? 

This brief video is a cute and creative way to illustrate the reason for using play therapy with children and adolescents. 


What is a School Based-Registered Play Therapist (SB-RPT)?

In 1992, the Association for Play Therapy (APT) began offering credentials for licensed mental health professionals, school counselors, school psychologists, and school workers.  Holding this credential demonstrates the provider’s play therapy competency to the general public, parents, and other mental health professionals. There are three types of credentials: 

  • Registered Play TherapistTM (RPT)
  • Registered Play Therapist-SupervisorTM (RPT-S)
  • School Based-Registered Play TherapistTM (SB-RPT)

The SB-RPT credential is for school counselors, school psychologists, or school social workers who hold a license from their state’s department of education, and who have satisfied the criteria set forth by the Association for Play Therapy. 

To earn these credentials, therapists are required to have a minimum amount of training, supervision, and work in the area of play therapy. This credential is renewed annually  and mandatory play therapy continuing education is required every three years.  Learn more at

Do you accept insurance?

I am not currently accepting insurance. Right now I am only private pay.  Utilizing private pay for counseling has advantages that insurance does not. With private pay, you are not having to meet a deductible on top of having to pay a co-pay. Also, when utilizing insurance, in order to be reimbursed for services, I am required to give my clients a mental health diagnosis that goes on their permanent medical record. For some, this is not an issue, however, for several clients, this can be an issue. Utilizing private pay is also beneficial because it increases confidentiality due to not having to submit with reimbursement. While all of the communication through insurance is HIPAA compliant, there is the factor where someone other than the practitioner (myself) is looking at the client’s information. One clarification is that utilizing private pay does not invalidate my position as a mandated reporter or negate my duty to warn. Both of these are very important aspects to the counseling relationship which I go over during the intake with the client. Please visit the Association for Play Therapy website to learn more.

How much do sessions cost and how do they work?

My rate is $95 per hour. Therapy sessions typically last 60 minutes, 50 minutes direct contact, and 10 minutes for charting, paperwork, booking, etc. For minors, I prefer to set up the intake with parents/guardians so I can go over the therapeutic process and what to expect for their child/children.

I still have questions about Play Therapy. Where can I go for more information?

Please visit the Association for Play Therapy’s Parents Corner for answers to the questions below and more:

  • Does My Child Need Play Therapy? 
  • What does a typical play therapy session look like?
  • Where can I find a Play Therapist?
  • And many other parent resources 

Who answers the phone when I call?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Generally, Linda, our admin answers the phone and responds to calls and texts. She works virtually. So, you won’t see her when you come to the office, but she is likely who you will talk to when you call to make an appointment. 

How do I set up an appointment?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Please fill out the online contact form or call 256-272-1065 and leave a message.

What are your ethics?
I follow the American Counseling Association Code of Ethics and the Alabama Board of Examiners in Counseling Code of Ethics.


Contact Us